CLF Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Bristol Brunel Academy part of the Cabot Learning Federation (CLF), recognises, and celebrates diversity, including that which exists within our pupil and staff populations and the communities we serve. We are committed to advancing equal opportunities for all and eliminating discrimination on any basis, including disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age (except pupils),marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sexual orientation, and religion or belief (defined as Protected Characteristics) so that equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) underpin all we do.
We recognise the following duties under the Equality Act 2010:-
- Eliminating discrimination, harassment, victimisation and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act;
- Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it ;
- Fostering good relations across characteristics - between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Regardless of the statutory responsibilities the CLF recognises the positive impact that a cohesive and inclusive EDI strategy can achieve. This includes but is not limited to
- Ensuring that all students maximise their potential regardless of their background or characteristics.
- Responding to the changing diversity of our students, communities or colleagues and the opportunities this presents.
- Addressing under representation within the work place and in particular within leadership positions. Broad representation is key to ensuring that both pupils and staff have positive role models to provide inspiration and ambition.
- Deliberately pursing strategies to ensure fair and equal pay opportunities for different groups, including addressing the gender pay gap.
- Harnessing the power and leverage of leadership within the Academy
- Celebrating the opportunities created through EDI
At Bristol Brunel Academy we recognise that supporting a diverse organisation is a continuous process where long term and sustainable plans are key. We recognise that attracting, advancing, developing, engaging and retaining a diversity of talent is important; alongside delivering equity of opportunity for our pupils whilst fostering an inclusive culture where differences are valued and enhanced. This is a continuous process where long term and sustainable plans are key.
Bristol Brunel Academy holds a long and deep commitment to welcoming diversity, examples of which are demonstrated on a day-to-day basis throughout the Academy. The culture of the Academy has supported the aim to positively encourage EDI. Our specific diversity related achievements include:-
- The academy runs student inclusive groups that include LGBTQ+ Group, BAME Group, Feminism Group and Disability Champions
- Equality and Diversity is taught throughout out curriculum and in PSHE
- We celebrate key moments and dates for example we had a rainbow non-uniform day in support of PRIDE.
The pursuit of the EDI agenda is a continuous process and our next objectives are:-
- Continuing to include more opportunities to include topics relevant to EDI across all aspects of the curriculum.
- Through our inclusive groups further develop opportunities across staff and students in order to promote our inclusive values for all of our school community.
- Proactively seek careers opportunities for positive action where underrepresented groups can be promoted in to these opportunities for example our BAME into NHS careers event.
Bristol Brunel Academy
To access more information on Equality and Diversity at Bristol Brunel Academy please click here.